Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Remembering

I was reminded through a family member's Facebook status report that today marks the third anniversary of D's brother's passing. He was D's brother by choice - coming into the family at the age of 14 (maybe 15, not sure) after his biological brother joined the family at 16-ish - and choosing to remain a part of D's family into adulthood. D's parents names even shared space with this brother's biological parents on his wedding announcement. A late night motorcycle "joyride" without his helmet, wind blowing through his shoulder-length hair, turned out to be his last ride on his beloved "speed machine". A corner taken at too-high speed. A small tree. That was the end to a mortal body.
I would like to share some of the beautiful memories I have from around this time 3 years ago. Primary among them is that D's mom organized a family picture, taken two weeks before we lost our brother. He was present. Pictures of him from that day were used at the funeral. More importantly, some much needed emotional healing for several people began on the day of the family picture. It was a good day. I myself got to witness this brother's sweet tenderness with his then 5 year old daughter. While figuring out which tasty ice cream flavor to choose, their discussion about Rocky Road brought a lesson from a father: every person has likes and dislikes and that's okay. It doesn't make you right or wrong. It's just one of those things that makes you, you. Lesson learned. Thank you!
At the funeral, my little Bubby, then 3, asked me if I would like to look at Jesus. I asked him if he saw a picture of Jesus he would like to look at. He said, "No, Jesus is in the bed." He then pointed at the casket. To a three year old, a man with long hair looks very much like the pictures of Jesus he has seen, as many artitst renderings of Jesus depict Him with long hair. I found this comparison by my sweet son oddly comforting, as my brother-in-law had a great deal of religious angst in his mortal life, and I was reminded that he is now with his Savior, and can receive andswers to al his religious questions, and finally is spirit can have peace. It made me grateful for the knowledge I have gained as a member of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Although a person's death leaves behind grieving loved ones who grieve because they miss the one who has passed on, I know that death is merely a graduation from this life into life in the eternities. And I think returning home to a loving Heavenly Father and our Brother Jesus Christ would be a joyous reunion indeed.
In the meantime, I am sending my thoughts and prayers of comfort to all MY loved ones who are remembering and missing D's brother today.

2 comments:

  1. You do have a way with words. I wish I could express myself as well as you can.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto!! Welcome to the world of Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete