Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tender Mercy at 2 O'Clock

Two o'clock this morning, that's when my Little Man and I were privy to a little miracle, or tender mercy, call it what you may. My sweet baby boy fell victim to his first long-termish cold last Thursday. AND it's still going. At least the fever hasn't returned since Saturday. Now we are on to wicked coughing fits (which Bubby has been experiencing for over a week as well). Last night was the worst coughing fit yet.

I awoke at 1:20 am (THIS morning) after being aware of Little Man coughing for quite some time. I decided it was time to intervene. Since pretty much all infant cold medicines have been pulled, I haven't dosed him up with anything for the congestion, just put a humidifier in his room. But I digress. I decided to get a baby bottle, and a little Vicks Vapo-Rub, and headed into the baby's room. My poor little man was bent over his legs coughing and moaning. Sweet thing. I rubbed the Vick's on his chest, got him out of bed and started feeding him a bottle. Once he downed 6 ounces, he coughed so hard he spit up a bit. Then, he was restless. I rocked. I stood and swayed. I grabbed a blanket and snuggled it around him and tried to soothe. He remained restless. Not fussy. Just couldn't get back to sleep. SO, after about 30-40 minutes of failed attempts to get my sweet Little Man back to sleep, I finally whispered to him, "My sweet boy, you MUST go to sleep so your body can get well. You can either fall asleep while I rock you, or I can put you back in your bed and you can fuss it out in your bed. But you really need to go to sleep." I said this to a 10 month old (I know, I know). And you know what? He turned his head, took a deep breath and relaxed! Then, the tender mercy:

As I rocked my sweet baby boy, who was trying his hardest to relax into a sleepful state, I said a silent prayer. Here's the gist of it:
I addressed my Heavenly Father, and I bore my testimony to Him that I KNEW he had the power to heal my child, and that He had the power to calm my little boy's cough and help him to rest so that he could be well. Then, I asked with all the faith that I have for Heavenly Father to exercise that power and PLEASE touch my child with His healing hand and calm his cough and help him rest so that his little body can heal and be whole. I finished my prayer, tucked my baby back into his bed, and went to my room. He coughed two quick coughs, and his cough was calmed FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT! He slept restfully until 7 am, at which time he woke up HAPPY! He still has a runny nose, and coughs a bit, but our Heavenly Father heeded this mother's desperate plea to help her baby.

God is good. He loves us. And he indeed shows His tender mercies to his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment